atw: Re: National Broadband Network and empathy

  • From: "Terry Dowling" <Terrence.Dowling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:31:29 +0800

Gedday Rod,

Interesting parable.

How are you enjoying your move to Tasmania? I assume we were almost
neighbours back when you(?) lived in Innaloo (I would've said Perth, but
I notice you're still not far from Perth).

Purely on an 'writing interest' level, I'm keen to know the source of
the Americanisms. I wonder whether Virginia -- with her "mom"  who
supports the "Green Party" and who sees people begging on the "sidewalk"
and tells her mom to stick her sign up her "ass" -- is a fresh import
from the US?

Or are you from the US? Or does the language go with the story/politics?
Or...?

I'm also fascinated to note that "victimless" crimes you directed us to
include not wearing helmets and seatbelts, when statistics (if you
believe them) show that these are key factors in reducing road deaths --
and if you think the only person affected by the death is the dead
person, well, I'd say you're either heartless or have never seen/known
someone who has died. (I was first on scene at a double fatality of folk
I didn't know and it affected me greatly.) And smoking as victimless
when the addiction means people can't easily give up, the ads were
targeted at the 'stupid'* who think it's cool or who succumb to peer
pressure? And what about the victims of second hand smoke? I'm a
low-level victim as I have pterygiums on my eyes as a result of having
worked in confined conditions with smokers.

[*BTW, I saw some stats several years ago that showed the average IQ of
smokers was something like 10 points below non-smokers. The study didn't
go into whether you had to be less intelligent to smoke or whether
smoking made you less intelligent.]

Cheers,

Terry