atw: OT: National Broadband Network and empathy

  • From: "Terry Dowling" <Terrence.Dowling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:25:21 +0800

Hi Rod,

I appreciate your answers, but I am starting to get a little confused.

Previously, you were complaining about government waste, but now you're
saying the government has no right to implement rules/laws that would
reduce costs to society/government, i.e. that reduce govt waste. I'm not
saying libertarians are necessarily stupid (maybe they hold Darwinian
beliefs and think it's a way of improving the gene pool) but the
government makes rules/laws to protect those who might not be clever
enough to protect themselves, as well as the the free- and strong-willed
libertarians. I think that's legitimate.

Interesting that you should use the shop analogy for govt. What drives
me mad is when I pay for something using a credit card at a shop that
doesn't use my bank, my name still appears on the docket. I'm sure
there's some big free-enterprise database that has just been updated
with this week's spending habits.

I believe "tyranny of the majority" is called democracy and it has
tended to work well against despots wielding power unreasonably.

And the reason for the USA's demise? Too much govt intervention or not
enough regulation/control over free enterprise (particularly the
bankers)? or a mixture of both? I guess you saw 4 Corners on Monday in
which they said that both Bush and Obama look like spending more than
all of the presidents who preceded them.

Cheers,

Terry

==

The only justification for that is that by not wearing it could increase
the drain on community resources... It is a valid condemnation of the
government delving into areas which are not legitimately the
government's arena.

...the USA is a goner. It's all over