[24hoursupport] Re: Will firewall be sufficient if WEP is disabled?

  • From: Lene <lpagsugu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 06:00:20 -0700 (PDT)

Fuzzy and Spider, thank you for your responses.

Here are the steps I take when I set up WEP:  On my PC, I connect to the
router's settings page and enter a passphrase for 64bit encryption.  There are
4 keys listed and the first one is checked.  I wrote the first key down to
compare it to the one on my laptop.  On my laptop, I use Netgear's Smart
Configuration control panel to connect to the 'access point'.  The SSID is the
same as the router, and the passphrase is correct.  Even when I do manage to
generate an IP and/or find a signal, I cannot connect to the Internet on my web
browser.  I've tried refreshing numerous times, I've restarted, I've used
internet connection wizards with no success.  I feel like I'm rehashing
everything I've said earlier, but I just got frustrated so I disabled it.

Is there a step I'm missing?
I apologize if I'm unclear on things.  Please let me know if you need more
information.
Spider <spider1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Lene,
I also want to add that even though you may not mind someone leaching your
connection, you should keep in mind that when someone does that they are
using your ISP assigned IP address. They can do what ever they want to do
on the Internet (like hack into another computer) and you will be the one
blamed for their activity since it will be traced back to you. I think it
would be a good idea to get WEP working. Fuzzy gave you some good info
below to get that done.

Spider
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

http://spider1.blogspot.com/