[24hoursupport] Re: Will firewall be sufficient if WEP is disabled?

  • From: Lene <lpagsugu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 05:48:41 -0700 (PDT)

On my laptop, I have a Netgear configuration screen that searches for networks
and when I click on the name to connect, it asks for either a passphrase or a
key.  Since I can remember the passphrase easier, I use that.  I have tried
using the key, but the result is still the same, I cannot connect to the
Internet.  I'll try taking a screenshot of it when I get home later today.  It
might be some other configuration problem with the laptop.  I'm able to access
the Internet and the network with WEP disabled, but I something is preventing
me from accessing the Internet when it is enabled.
I have no problem with the PC and the router, it is just the laptop.  Yes, with
WEP enabled, I am able to access the configuration screen and connect to the
Internet.

Fuzzy Logic <fuzzymo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Either you are confusing your terms, or you are still setting up the
laptop incorrectly.

When you generate the keys from the passphrase, you should see four
identical keys, so that's good.

When you are setting up your laptop, you should be entering a key, not
a passphrase. It might be under advanced options or something similar,
but you definately want to enter a key, not a passphrase on the
laptop.

More importantly, you end by saying that you can connect to the
router's configuration after you have rebooted. Am I correct in
understanding this is WITH WEP enabled? Or is it without? If you have
WEP enabled, and you are able to connect to the router, then that
means that you're successfully connected to the router, and you simply
need to set your router to act as a DHCP server and set your PC's
internet settings to "Automatically obtain an address".

Hope that helps.

Fuzzy
--
"Men may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do."
*Lewis Cass {1782-1866 American Politician}