[24hoursupport] Re: Will firewall be sufficient if WEP is disabled?

  • From: Lene <lpagsugu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:44:28 -0700 (PDT)

When I go to wireless settings in my control panel, I click for WEP, I select
128bit encryption, I type in a passphrase, click 'generate' and 4 keys are
listed. When I did it earlier today, the keys were all the same.  I use the
passphrase to log into the network using my laptop.  Sometimes when I try to
connect, I cannot generate an IP and sometimes when I do get an IP for my
laptop, I still cannot connect to the internet.

This is what I used for help:
http://www.netgear.com/docs/wgt624/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm

To answer your question, I do not have a problem connecting to the router's
settings page on my PC.

Thank you for your input.

Fuzzy Logic <fuzzymo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

First, if it supports 128 bit, use that instead. It's MUCH stronger encryption.

That said, I think you're still confusing a passphrase with an
encryption key. The 26 digit key you see in the panel is a key. Make
sure that you're not trying to put that into your setup in Windows as
a passphrase.

You might need to reboot after setting it to get everything in sync.

After a reboot, can you connect to the router's settings page?

Fuzzy
--
"Men may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do."
*Lewis Cass {1782-1866 American Politician}