[24hoursupport] Re: Will firewall be sufficient if WEP is disabled?

  • From: Lene <lpagsugu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 06:06:05 -0700 (PDT)

I don't mind people leeching my internet, I'm mostly concerned about
connections from users who want to do malicious damage to my files, read
passwords/keylog, or render my system useless.

Okay, so can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong that I cannot connect to the
Internet on my laptop?  It can find the signal, but I've tried 'detect network
settings' on IE, I've tried using the wizard to set up an internet connection
and I've restarted numerous times to try to get online.  Like I said before, I
set up the passphrase on the router, entered my laptop's mac address as a
connection that is granted access, and I've set up a profile with the
passphrase/SSID on my laptop to connect.

Again, Windows XP Pro on both machines, using Netgear wireless router and
laptop card (802.11g).

Thank you for your help.

Fuzzy Logic <fuzzymo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Protected from what?

Protected from people randomly connecting to your machine? Probably
not, if they can get on your network (likely if you are not using
WEP). Your websurfing? Nope, it's in the clear for anyone with a
wireless card in range to listen in.

Fuzzy
--
"Men may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do."
*Lewis Cass {1782-1866 American Politician}