[24hoursupport] Re: Will firewall be sufficient if WEP is disabled?

  • From: Fuzzy Logic <fuzzymo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:23:03 -0400

Okay, you should use the key, regardless of whether the passphrase is
easier to remember. The passphrase will likely not generate the same
key on your laptop, and it is the key that is used for WEP, not the
passphrase.

Okay, if you can connect to the router with WEP enabled, then your
keys match and that is not your problem. Did you do what I suggested
in the last paragraph, and ensure your TCP/IP settings are correct?
Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Network Settings, then right-click
on the wireless card and choose Properties. In there, select Internet
Protocol and properties. In the general tab, it should say "Obtain an
IP address automatically" (sounds like that is currently the setting),
and _also_ make sure that "Obtain DNS server address automatically" is
also set.

Fuzzy
--
"Men may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do."
*Lewis Cass {1782-1866 American Politician}