[wisb] Re: Solstice Challenge

  • From: Lennie Lichter <lennieandmaria@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 06:44:23 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks.
It was a little cooler this morning (2 below zero with no wind) for my hike.
The birds observed today were:

Red-bellied, Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers were all heard calling at least once,
and one of them was doing some persistent but short drumming for a while as
well.  There was no sign of the Pileated or the Flicker.

More Blue Jays were heard this morning - the regular "Jay" call this time.

One of the Black-capped Chickadees actually sang its "Fee-bee-bee" song a few
times, and of course the usual calls were heard as well.

I did not hear the Titmice during the hike but they were seen around the yard.

The White-breasted Nuthatches were limited to their "Yank" calls.

I'm sure the Northern Cardinals were around but I didn't hear any of them this
morning.

The Purple Finches and American Goldfinches were both heard calling near the
yard.

Lennie Lichter
Monroe County