[wisb] Bohemian/Cedar Waxwings - Langlade Co.

  • From: "Joel A. Flory" <joelflory@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbird Net" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 08:27:14 -0600

Yesterday while doing the Summit Lake CBC I was filming a group of Bohemian
waxwings (24) working over a crabapple tree when they flushed back up to a
nearby oak.  As I was watching them there another flock of waxwings (16 and
all Cedars) flew in and perched in the same oak with complete separation
from the previous group.  Then almost all the CEDW came down to forage while
all the BOWA stayed up in the oak.  The BOWA eventually came down to forage,
but I was surprised by the distinct separation they showed as I usually see
them in mixed flocks.  Maybe it was their first encounter and they'll now
intermingle.  Interesting though.  For those in the area, the birds were at
an always reliable feeder yard at the Jct. of CHY B and CHY J in Kempster.

Joel A. Flory

Rhinelander, Oneida Co.