[wisb] Re: Solstice Challenge

  • From: Lennie Lichter <lennieandmaria@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 06:41:20 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks.
Report for 12/15/09:
The thermometer read 2 degrees above zero and there was a little bit of a
"cool" breeze when I headed out on a short walk at 7:15 this morning.  I had
been out a little bit earlier but hadn't heard or seen anything.  The birds
observed today were:

A Northern Flicker gave its piercing "Keer" call a few times (I had not been
aware that it was in the area).

A Pileated Woodpecker laughed somewhere nearby a couple of times.
Other woodpeckers were noticeably silent.

Blue Jays were around but quiet except for a suspicious Cooper's Hawk call that
sounded more like a Jay than a hawk.

Black-capped Chickadees limited their efforts to the "Chick-a-dee-dee-dee" or
"Dee-dee-dee" calls.

I saw one Tufted Titmouse quietly looking for breakfast, but another one was
heard singing its "Peter-Peter-Peter" song a few times (a big surprise there!)
as well as "Shway"ing a few times.

White-breasted Nuthatches were calling "Yank" as well as giving both their slow
and fast "Yah-yah-yah-yah-yah" songs.

I don't always hear the "Chip" call of the Northern Cardinal anymore, but they
must have been heard by others, judging by the way there tails were jerking
occasionally.

The "Tick" calls of the Purple Finches were heard near the yard.

And finally, the American Goldfinch "Per-CHICK-er-ree"d its way overhead as I
was heading back to the house.

Lennie Lichter
Monroe County