[wisb] Solstice Challenge

  • From: Lennie Lichter <lennieandmaria@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 13:28:14 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks.
I'm in the house this afternoon after snowshoeing quite a ways late this
morning, and I'm listening to a Pileated Woodpecker drumming not too far up
Spring Valley.  This got me to thinking about the book "Birdsong by the
Seasons" by Donald Kroodsma that I read parts of recently.  One chapter is
devoted to the author's admittedly unproven theory that the true first day of
Spring is the Winter Solstice.  In an attempt to prove this he kept track of
the early morning birds he heard for a time period covering from about a week
before the shortest day through a week after.  Sure enough, for that particular
year anyway he did find birds of various species were at best just
communicating with calls up until that day.  On the day of the Solstice and for
the remainder of his study, these same species were giving at least partial
renditions of their Spring songs (or drumming, etc.).

This would be the perfect time to further test this theory if you are going to
be out and about early each morning, covering a consistent stretch of trail or
sidewalk.  I might even try it myself.

Lennie Lichter
Monroe County