[wisb] Waupaca CBC

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 06:56:32 -0600

I helped on the Waupaca CBC yesterday, basically covering the central
part of the area.  Despite the poor road conditions, birds were
surprisingly active.  Probably the best was a dead end road to two
farms through a small swamp.  The shoulders were literally covered
with birds that included 45 Robins, 12 Cedar Waxwings (actually
feeding on the swamp berries adjacent to the road), numerous Juncos
and Tree Sparrows, House Finches and Mourning Doves, SEVEN N.
Flickers, other standard woodpeckers, Cardinals, Goldfinches,, Blue
Jays, Chickadees.  After enjoying this delightful scene, I walked
parts of the area, trying to pish up other things.  Nothing new but
most of the birds simply ignored me, either feeding adjacent to me in
the bushes or further down the road on the shoulder. After returning
to my vehicle, I was about to leave when a bird flew across the road
and proceeded to feed on some other berries by the vehicle---HERMIT
THRUSH.  When I returned to this spot in the aftenoon there were only
a few Tree Sparrows and Juncos, 2 Flickers and a Robin.  However a
Pileated Woodpecker flew by, the only one of the day.
Elsewhere I found 2 Fox Sparrows feeding with a mixed flock of Tree
Sparrows and Juncos.  For the day I had almost 850 Juncos and 550
Tree Sparrows.  There were almost literally everywhere.

And last a Red-headed Woodpecker and a flock of 300 Snow Buntings
added to the surprising day.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI