[Va-bird] Dutch Gap

  • From: Barbara Houston <rinksyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bird VA <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 20:21:17 -0400

I swung by Dutch Gap after work this afternoon and was glad to see some activity finally. There were a good number of Canada's as well as Wood Ducks, but the Wood Ducks were staying off in the distance in the deep weeds. The vegetation is very heavy and has grown up blocking views of much of the marsh. The water level is still high and there is quite a bit of greenery in the marsh area.

I was surprised to see an osprey sitting in the tree there...he sat there the whole hour I was there.

Canada goose (200+)
Red Shouldered Hawk
Osprey
Mallards (20 or so)
Coots (6)
Wood Ducks (40+)
Bald eagles (2)
Starling (100's)
Red Wing Blackbirds
Cardinals
Mockingbirds
Sparrow

Barbara Houston
New Kent, VA

PS - I have an three hour eagle tour going next Saturday if you are interested. I have two slots left. Contact me off list if interested.