[Va-bird] Dutch Gap

  • From: Barbara Houston <rinksyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bird VA <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 18:58:51 -0400

I swung by Dutch Gap on the way home from work yesterday afternoon and spent almost two hours there enjoying the nice weather and lots of birds. The usual suspects were there and had a few editions as well. I was sitting down on the shoreline near the first platform shooting fly-bys when I noticed the osprey on the tree across the marsh take off flying in my direction. I looked again and saw why, a bald eagle coming towards him and his fish. They flew toward the second platform area out of my sight line and then I see the bale eagle coming towards me with the fish...and the osprey hot on his tail. The osprey was hollering and had claws out toward the eagle and the eagle kept looking behind him. The osprey finally got too close and the eagle turned at the osprey, talons up (even though they had a fish in them), and the osprey backed off. The eagle turned and headed back towards the river and the osprey gave up and went back to his tree without a fish. There is an osprey nest across from the second platform way across the marsh and there is another further down towards the river. I walked down to the point and watched several eagles flying the winds over the river and then had another come right over my head while I stood there.

I headed out and as I passed the marshy area, I noticed some movement in the woods. I parked and walked along the edge of the road and had a good dozen wood ducks in the standing water back in the wooded area.

A nice afternoon at Dutch Gap.

Pics start at: http://fynefoto.phanfare.com/5970522#imageID=182433408

Barbara Houston
New Kent, VA