[Va-bird] Dutch Gap

  • From: Barbara Houston <rinksyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bird VA <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 20:46:30 -0500

I tried to get down there late yesterday afternoon before the sun went behind the hill but got caught in that awful traffic and arrived about 4:45 and the sun had left. There was a ton of activity though at the first platform. Tons of Canada Geese, Mallards, Shovelers, Ring Necks, Coots, Gulls, Red Wing Blackbirds, Starlings, and more. It seemed to get more active as it got darker. The park now closes at 5pm and the park people 'helped' us leave at 5:10pm. I turned right out of the park and swung by the boat ramp. There must have been several thousand Cormorants in the trees across the river from the ramp. They were steadily arriving in large numbers.

Non-birds sightings were two cats, about a dozen deer, and some turtles.

Barbara Houston
New Kent, VA