[Va-bird] Dutch Gap

  • From: Barbara Houston <bhouston@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 10:14:38 -0400

I made a quick trip through Dutch Gap on Thursday after work. On the way in, I saw two small quail in the fresh cut grass. I parked at the first turn-out and walked up and down the road there. There were several small groups of the wood ducks. While I was walking back uptoward the front of DG, I heard something 'yelling' at me. It turned out to be the Moorhen. Based on the noises I heard, I think the mate and/or young are somewhere in that area.
I walked further up hoping she would come back, but no luck there. I did get a visit from a pair of Blue Grosbeaks, It was quite windy and that made it hard on the birds to sit still. They landed in a tree in front of me and talked to me for a few minutes and then crossed the road to the fence. The female picked up dinner on the way. When I took the pics of her, I though it was grass for a nest, so I was surprised to see the real contents of her beak.

All the pics are at: http://public.fotki.com/bhouston/miscellaneous/nature_pics/20080703-dutch-gap/

Happy 4th to All.

Barbara