[Va-bird] Dutch Gap

  • From: Barbara Houston <rinksyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bird VA <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 20:46:23 -0500

I spent about 4 hours at Dutch Gap this afternoon. It was supposed to be a sunny day....but I sepnt lots of time waiting on the clouds to move. There were quite a few ducks and birds in the area near the first platform. I had two surprises there this afternoon....the first was a harrier scanning the marsh in the first ponded area, the second was an osprey sitting in the top of a tree in the first pond. Had two different eagles fly by and had a ton of vultures (both turkey and black) circling all afternoon. The temperature was amazing for January and there was lots of traffic with people taking advantage of it.

Northern Harrier
Canada Goose
Pied Billed grebe (just 1)
Double Crested Cormorants (Fly-bys)