[Va-bird] Dutch Gap

  • From: Barbara Houston <rinksyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 21:56:42 -0500

I had to work today and decided since I was over that way, I would swing by Dutch Gap. I ended up spending a couple hours there. Not as many Canada's as in the past couple weeks, 40+ Ring Necks, 50+ Mallards, 100+ Nothern Pintails, 50+ Northern Shovelers. No eagles or ospreys. I talked to a gentlemen who had been there most of the day and he had seen an eagle and several hawks in the morning. All of the waterfowl were restless and moving around quite a bit. It gave me a chance to work on my flight photos.

Pics are at: http://public.fotki.com/bhouston/miscellaneous/nature_pics/20110226-dutch-gap/

I stopped at Crewes Channel as well, not much going on there. Some ducks in the back, looked like pintails, and a few hawks flying around toward the back.

As a side note, when I got home, as I was coming down my dirt lane, I look up and see a large bird flying at the tree line along my road coming right at me....as I watch it fly over my truck, it is a gorgeous adult bald eagle....and while I am trying to watch it through the mirrors, I turn into my driveway and look up and the mate flies over....

Barbara