[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tnbird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 16:54:23 -0800 (PST)

Large numbers of sandhill cranes, in the thousands, continued to be in view at
the Hiwassee
Wildlife Refuge in Meigs County at Birchwood today. They can be seen
from the viewing areas at both the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park and
the nearby gazebo at HWR. The best times at the CRMP are early morning
and late in the day as the cranes return to roost around Hiwassee
Island. Directions to HWR can be found at TWRA's Watchable Wildlife site for
HWR at:

http://www.tnwatchablewildlife.org/watchareadetails.cfm?uid=09071608273977728&region=Hiwassee_Refuge&statearea=East_Tennessee
In addition to many sandhill cranes, I saw 10 snow geese (6 blue phase), large
numbers of ring-necked ducks and a few other species of ducks, and a few bald
eagles. Bluebirds and yellow-rumped warblers entertained in the oak near the
gazebo. Four whooping cranes were seen near dusk.

A visitor from Vermont and her young son stopped by HWR, and she was very
impressed. She told me about the Birds of Vermont Museum which features over
500 birds that are found in Vermont which are displayed as wood carvings. It
sounds like a most interesting place to visit if you're headed to New England!

http://www.birdsofvermont.org/

She reported that Vermont had one nesting pair of sandhill cranes this year!

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN