[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:12:11 -0800 (PST)

Some significant sightings were made at Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge in Meigs
County at Birchwood late this afternoon. A swan with a black bill (probable
tundra swan?) was on the far side of the slough across from the viewing area at
the refuge around 4:45 PM. Later, at the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park
overlook, I saw about 5 probable snow geese (one or two of which may have been
blue phase snow geese) on a mud bar near Hiwassee Island. They were very far
away, even for a spotting scope, and the light was now low. Many hundreds or
even a few thousand sandhill cranes flew into the island area very late. Then,
while there was very little light left, 2 POSSIBLE whooping cranes landed on a
mud bar near the island. There were too many tree limbs restricting my view and
too little light to make a positive identification. If they were whooping
cranes, they are the first I've seen this fall.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN