[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN- BIRD <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 17:23:11 -0800 (PST)

The large decline in the number of sandhill cranes at the Hiwassee Wildlife
Refuge in Meigs Co. at Birchwood continues. There were, at most, only a few
hundred sandhills in view today. No hooded crane nor whooping crane sightings
were made. Bald eagle activity remained good, and Northern harriers continue to
be seen. At least a few thousand sandhills did return to the Hiwassee Island
area from the north very late in the day. Many of these sandhills were likely
coming from the Armstrong Bend area. I observed the most beautiful full moon
moonrise I've ever seen from the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park overlook about
6:30 p.m. It also produced a glorious reflection in the Hiwassee River. I hope
someone photographed it from the Tri-county Memorial Bridge on Highway 60 where
trees would not have prevented the best photographs possible.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN