[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 17:57:53 -0700 (PDT)

I visited both the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park viewing area overlooking
Hiwassee Island and the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge viewing area in the morning
and in the late afternoon today. Both sites are in Meigs County at Birchwood. A
few sandhill cranes could be seen at both sites most of the time, however the
largest numbers appeared near sunset from the CRMP as the cranes headed to
roost around Hiwassee Island. There appeared to be around 100 to 200 total
birds. I also observed 7 cranes flying south near mid-day. At least two adult
bald eagles and one immature were noted from the CRMP viewing area.

Adding the birds seen at the two Hiwassee area sites to others from close to my
home near "downtown Birchwood" and a couple of species from Dayton, I had 38
species for the day. The best sightings for me were: brown-headed nuthatch,
barred owl (on Blythe Ferry Rd. near the CRMP), lesser yellowlegs, Northern
harrier, a kettle of 20 turkey vultures, and 3 duck species - hooded merganser,
gadwall, and ring-necked. There were also mallards and several other waterfowl
that I didn't try to identify today. A coyote appeared to be sunning itself for
several minutes in a field at HWR.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN