[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 08:49:07 -0800 (PST)

This morning, I set a new personal record for bald eagles seen at Hiwassee
Wildlife Refuge in Meigs County at Birchwood. Viewing Hiwassee Island and the
mudflats around the island from the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park, I counted 4
adult and at least 9 immature bald eagles. I probably arrived too late in the
morning to see very many sandhill cranes. Only about 15-20 were noted. About
4:30 PM yesterday, I had seen about 75 sandhills. I think most of the sandhill
cranes are feeding north of the Hiwassee Refuge at this point in the season.
Larger numbers fly in from the north near sundown to roost around Hiwassee
Island. The water has been quite high the past few days, but it dropped a great
deal overnight, so there may be more sandhills able to roost around the island
tonight.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN