[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 16:32:45 -0800 (PST)

Late today at the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge in Meigs County at Birchwood, I
observed an estimated 500 sandhill cranes, 1 tundra (?) swan, and 3 snow geese.
Then I traveled to the nearby Cherokee Removal Memorial Park. Visibility was
poor, but THOUSANDS of sandhill cranes and at least 2 whooping cranes were seen
on or near mudflats on Hiwassee Island or on mud bars in the Tennessee and
Hiwassee rivers near the island.

Please sign the TOS visitors list at the HWR gazebo when you are there.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN