[THIN] Re: Helpdesk support software - any ideas?

  • From: "GAUNCE, Michael" <MSGAUNCE@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:31:05 -0400

We have a problem here with being severely understaffed for the scale of the
enterprise we are in charge of.  We're basically split into 6 domains, each
with its own admins group.  The North American domain (mine) is far and away
the largest and most complex.  We have proportionately fewer admins than the
other domains...all very well, but we serve as third tier for all the other
domains as well.  Depending upon the domain (and some are definitely better
than others), we wind up getting stuff handed to us just because they don't
want to deal with it.  OK.  End result??  Well, we're constantly swamped
with trouble tickets, constantly struggling to maintain the infrastructure
we already have and constantly being assigned work orders for tasks that are
trivial but require some administrative access.  On top of this, management
can't figure out why our projects lag behind timelines.  So...the lightbulb
comes on!  "What we need to do is have better time reporting!  Let's use
Magic Helpdesk for that".  The upshot is that every trouble ticket or work
order that we touch we have to manually enter the time we spend on it into
Magic so Crystal can generate pretty reports.  On many things, dealing with
Magic takes longer than to do the work order or resolve the ticket.  Half
the time we can't even get into the damned thing...

To reiterate - Magic Helpdesk is devil spawn...