[SI-LIST] Re: (no subject)

  • From: Raymond Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:35:58 -0800

Vince vintero wrote:

 >HI...my name's Vince and i'm an ET student.  We were given a homework
and I
 >was researching through "Ask Jeeves" and i saw a link where you answered
 >someone's question for their project.  My question is this:  Why is it
that
 >using measurement of a circuit's voltage with a voltmeter and its current
 >with an ammeter does not provide the necessary info to find the actual
power
 >dissipated by the circuit?  And is the tuned circuit of a receiver
typically
 >series or parallel LC circuit?  Hope you can provide me the info i
 >need....i'd really appreciate it...thanks so much

While it is true that (volts * amps) = power, it is only true (for AC
circuits) if the voltage and current are in phase.  Voltmeters and
ammeters do
not provide phase information.  Read up on 'power factor' in your text.

As far as whether LC tuned circuits in receivers are typically series or
parallel, the answer is:  'it all depends on where they are in the circuit'.
A parallel LC circuit will exhibit maximum impedance at resonance while a
series LC circuit will exhibit minimum impedance at resonance.  The question
is kind of vague, but I guess you 'typically' (whatever that means) will
come
across more parallel resonant circuits than series ones in  receivers.

Ray Anderson
Staff SI Engineer
Sun Microsystems Inc.

List archives are viewable at: