[SI-LIST] Re: (no subject)

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ambr Amit <ambr_amit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:39:27 -0700

Ambr, the generic advice that I can offer you is that you need to
simulate any proposed packaging to see how it will perform.  On the
specific issue of Vdd, where the balls are best located is a trade-off
with no single answer that fits all situations.  It depends on what you
are doing in the package with bypass caps, how big the package is,
whether you are going to fill-out the ball field, how many voltages you
need to support, and so on.

Detailed solutions to these sorts of difficult challenges are something
that we ( Teraspeed ) and others frequently on the SI-List consult on.
If you are uncomfortable with the task before you, I recommend engaging
appropriate help.

Good luck,

Steve.
Ambr Amit wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I'm working on a 6-layer flipchip package design with following stackup:
>

> VSS
>

> signal
>

> VDD
>

> VSS
>

> VDD
>

> Balls
>

>     This package gets used on a 4-layer board with stackup of
>

> signal
>

> VSS
>

> VDD
>

> signal
>

>     The design supports high speed interfaces like
> DDR3-1600 & multiple Serdes (upto 5Gbps). While doing ball
> assignment I'm proposing to place power/ground (VDD/VSS) balls in the
> perimeter of package (to get better return paths for high speed
> signals). But based on the board routing this is turning out to be bad
> idea because it blocks lot of signal routes and proposal is to move all
> the power/ground (VDD/VSS) inside towards the centre of the package.
> I'm not comfortable with this because
>

> - this will affect the return path
>

> - it results in current crowding in the central area where lot of VDD/VSS
> balls are places
>

> - and ineffective use of package internal planes
>

>      This can result in SI issues. But sadly I do
> not have any data which can support that moving all the VDD/VSS towards
> centre will result in SI issues. One part is doing simulation to see
> the impact of bad return path, which I'm working on. But if someone in
> SI-list has already done study on this scenario, I would appreciate
> their opinions and data on this subject.
>

> Thanks and regards
>

> Amit

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(866) 675-4630 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: