[SI-LIST] Re: Jitter transfer vs. accumulation

  • From: "Mark Randol" <Mark.Randol@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:17:33 -0700

Time to get out the dictionaries.  According to mine (the before
mentioned MJSQ):

"3.5.45 jitter, random, RJ: Jitter that is characterized by a Gaussian
distribution and is unbounded."

"Because random jitter is practically measured as an RMS value (the same
as the standard deviation for a
Gaussian distribution), a seemingly small amount of RMS random jitter
corresponds to a large peak to peak value. The RMS value for random
jitter is multiplied by approximately 14 to result in a peak to peak
random jitter value that corresponds to a 10-12 bit error ratio;..."

To sum up, RJ is unbounded as the number of edges (aka samples, BER,
etc) increases, because the Gaussian distribution is unbounded at an
infinite number of samples. =20

In reality RJ is bounded because in a real system, at the grossest
level, there's not infinite time nor bandwidth.  There are other reasons
too, but those are adequate to make the point.  This makes the math
messy though, so being good engineers we 'ignore' that inconvenient
fact.  But that's not what I understood the discussion to be about.

Awaiting the deluge of 'Out of the Office' messages,
--
Mark Randol, RF Evaluation & Application Engineer
ON Semiconductor

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: