[SI-LIST] Re: Article discussion on bad packages

  • From: "Istvan NOVAK" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:36:56 -0500

Chris,

Let me reiterate my point, which was triggered by your comment
about the usability of IBIS to SSN problems.  What I wanted
to say was that dependent on where we are on the
silicon-package-board design chain, there are situations when
the full transistor-level model for all the pieces involved may not be
possible.

Going back to IOs, if we have the transistor-level model for a full IO cell,
we can run SSN simulations on a few cells.  But it becomes impractical
to use the same level of detail, when we try to figure out the SSN in
a large package, which may have possibly many hundred IO cells.
In this case a careful characterization of a single cell should provide
enough information so that a behavioral model can be created to help
the analysis of the large package.

Regards,

Istvan novak
SUN Microsystems