[SI-LIST] Re: Article discussion on bad packages

  • From: "Patrick Zilaro" <pzilaro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cgrassosprint1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:17:03 -0800

Hi,

I completely agree that a full system analysis should be carried out to
ensure the design will meet all required performance specs.  Each piece =
of
the puzzle will contribute to the system noise -> IC, package, and PCB =
(as
well as connectors, cabling, etc.)

With that said, I summarized my opinion last week on why packaging tends =
receive a lot of blame for the "system" noise.  I am re-posting, since I
think many people were on vacation and did not get a chance to read it.

*************************************

I read the article; here is my perspective on why people like Lee =
Ritchey
think there are so many bad IC packages out there.

1) Margin and cost:
        On most of our consumer products, we need to keep the cost of the
package very low in order to make any money.  When you consider that a =
lot
of our products are integrating high speed analog blocks, high speed =
digital
interfaces, and even RF sections it becomes very difficult (sometimes
impossible) to maintain good signal integrity while designing into these =
low
cost packages.

2) Marketing people / IBIS models:
        Our customers do not typically get to interface with myself or other
SI engineers.  Instead they have to talk to marketing people.  Most
marketing people think that delivering IBIS models with lumped =
(uncoupled)
RLC data takes into account all the necessary characterization =
information
that board level designs need to run SI analysis.  They don't understand =
the
concepts of SSO noise, X-talk/coupling, core power droop, impedance
matching, skew, attenuation/loss, etc.  Many times it is necessary to =
run
analysis using transistor level I/O's (instead of IBIS) and a more =
accurate
package model than lumped RLC.

3) I/O blocks on chip:
        Many times I have seen I/O blocks that were not designed well for
signal integrity.  Maybe they are analog blocks with noisy feedback =
loops,
RF sections that are overly sensitive to attenuation, or digital =
interfaces
with high slew rates and bad skew mismatch on-chip.  Regardless of the
issue, it is much cheaper to try to fix the package than to re-spin the
silicon masks.  In these situations the package might get "blamed" for =
the
bad performance, when the real problem is non-robust circuit design.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,

Patrick