[SI-LIST] Re: Article discussion on bad packages

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:59:43 -0800

Chris, I think that there are multiple issues, some of which can be
addressed more easily than others, but ultimately I do see some serious
problems with IBIS.  If we specified the following, I think we would be way
better off than we are today:

1) Signal return references.  Easy to specify.  If the package guy does his
homework all he needs to do is tell the integrator:
a. The signal reference plane
b. S parameters as seen looking into an ideal launch at the package / PCB
interface.

2) Signal crosstalk due to coupled lines.  I like the idea of mixed-mode S
parameters here as well for the closest neighbor or two on each side.  The
idea is to avoid having to build up a big matrix of W elements.

3) Signal crosstalk due to common power / ground impedance.  This one is
where I think things are tricky for IBIS.  I don't see a good way around an
equivalent  circuit for the common impedance.  I think from a practical
standpoint this is going to require bolting the inductance/capacitance
matrix onto the front of IBIS models converted to SPICE and dropping
IBIS.  In essence all IBIS is going to get us is a simplified SPICE model
for the drivers.

4) Current profile vs. frequency for core, and I/O.  It would be up to the
IC supplier to identify subgroups where each subgroup would be considered a
lumped current source.

5) Some means of feeding back noise voltage versus frequency at the package
/ PCB interface resulting from 4) into 3).  If we go the route of a SPICE
model, this is straightforward, if a bit slow.  In this case we bolt a
SPICE model of the PCB attachment + planes + bypass caps at 3)

I think this is enough to get us pretty close.  Unless I have missed
something ( comments welcome!!! ) we would be able to see:

a) Most multiline crosstalk.
b) Most common power impedance crosstalk / SSO, including analog if specified
c) A good representation of power as measured at the device / PCB boundary
d) Limited visibility of power at the internal distribution nodes ( depends
on the detail of models provided at 3) )

What this proposal lacks is an evaluation of absolute voltages inside the
package.  My thinking is that the IC vendor could specify one of two ways:

a) Absolute voltages at internal nodes where the matrix has been provided
in 3)  This is the most accurate, and ultimately I think preferred.
b) Absolute voltages at the package / PCB interface.  With software driven
and/or programmable hardware, I don't think this has very good legs to it.

I am interested in what stones folks can toss at this proposal.

Regards,

Steve.

At 02:00 PM 12/27/2004 -0800, Chris Cheng wrote:
>I am sorry but IBIS for SSO analysis is an oxymoron term for me. Can you
>explain more ?
>
>Power and SSO analysis has been done on systems since the 70's. There was no
>commmitte or industrial standard then and people who knows how to do it ask
>the right question and get the right results. And every package I have
>designed is unique and to say there is a generic or standard way to model it
>is beyond my experience. But then again, what do I know ?

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: