[SI-LIST] Re: Article discussion on bad packages

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:24:19 -0800

Steve,
Believe it or not, I actually have two of the largest SI EDA tool vendors
sending me people to investigate what you descript below (on top of neat
things like behavioral receiver modeling). They spent nearly a man year each
to get to what I think is close enough (+/-10% of SPICE accuracy). At the
end of the day with all those additional modeling, the run speed of the
simulator is slow enough that the so call orders of magnitude faster than
SPICE advantage is gone, in some cases it is slower. The time wasted to
extract the additional parameters needed and the actually fitting of the
models to a behavioral engine is longer than simply running the native SPICE
model and go home and have fun. It's like the rice rockets kids in my
neighborhood have. You can put more money and time and effort to make a
Civic run fast, but I'll take a Corvette or Viper any day. I don't shoot
from the hip, I've actually done it before I draw my own conclusion. And I
have my customer's negative feedbacks on IBIS to back it up.
You mind as well put in the requirement to model the modulation of the
predriver voltage under SSO condition. Case where the pre-driver ground is
isolated from the IO ground will be very different from when they are
common. And I still want someone to give me a correct IBIS model on Bill
Gunning's circa 89 GTL driver model with SSO effects. Let's see how you
model the active feed back from the drain back to the gate while the pass
gate is under SSO modulation in a behavioral model.