[riscos-printing] Re: GutenPrint and Canon printers

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-printing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 10:07:06 +0100

In message <cb807cbd4e.davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I printed the photo out with "Print in the background" ticked, which
> I have avoided before.  It still took an age, and still kept single
> tasking the processor for several seconds at a time, but it worked.
> I also had a large copy in progress to a Linux box via Sunfish at
> the same time.  (Pausing the latter didn't seem to speed up the
> print, though.)
>
> I had thought that I shouldn't tick "Print in the background", but
> I don't know why.

Because (a) it would not have any effect even if it worked and (b) it
caused an error on all versions of !Printers I have tried so far. If
it works for you, fine, but there is no point in enabling that option.
The reason is that "Print in the background" only applies to the part
of the printing done BEFORE Gutenprint kicks in and that part is
usually very quick - just a few seconds. The main part of the printing
is when the Gutenprint window pops up and from that point on the
"Print in the background" option does not have any effect anyway.

> I'm using RemotePrinterFS JetDirect to a Netgear
> PS121 print server.  Is this a limitation of Gutenprint, or of
> RemotePrinterFS, or am I imagining the limitation?

It is a limitation of the intermediate GemPrint printing layer, which
is part of Gutenprint for RISC OS. Using some tricks it allows a
multi-tasking application (GPDriver2) to do the printing instead of
the single-tasking printing system modules.

Martin