[pure-silver] Re: old rollei over exposing

  • From: "Michael Healy" <emjayhealy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:59:44 -0700

Now wait a minute. Wait a MINUTE. Either we need to keep our shutters cocked
for 40
years, or we absolutely should never cock them ever until we're ready to fire
them. I
hope you will excuse my ignorance and especially my exasperation; but I'm
unable to
see a whole lot of wiggle room on this issue.  Could be I'm the last person on
the planet
who doesn't know what EVERYBODY already knows about lenses. Could be. But
listen,
you guys started this. So please, educate us. Offer us something a tad more
substantive
than "he said, I said."

The truth is, I'd never heard either of these assertions. Common sense says,
don't leave
it cocked, as in, don't leave the engine running. Then again, common sense says
of a
manual transmission, park it in first, don't leave it in neutral. So what's
common sense in
this case? One of you guys has to be absolutely flatout categorically wrong. So
please,
allow me to begin with a simple question: You make a claim: the experts all
say, or the
manufacturers all agree. Okay, WHAT manufucturers generally recommend? Point us
a source or three. Show us they recommend leaving it cocked, or show us they
recommend NOT leaving it cocked. I don't care. If you are going to make an
assertion of
this sort, or refute it, could you please bother us with something a bit more
substantial?
For a user of LF lenses, this is neither a trivial matter nor something to
decide on the
basis of whether it's Jerry or Richard who seems to be right more often.

Mike Healy

Date sent:              Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:59:00 +101800
From:                   Richard Urmonas <rurmonas@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:                     pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx