[pure-silver] Re: old rollei over exposing

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:18:43 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 6:19 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: old rollei over exposing

>I agree with Mr. Knoppow,
>
> Though both of the failed mainsprings I've actually seen
> were broken as a
> result of a crack started from a spot of surface
> corrosion.
>
> I have seen several synchro-compurs on old Rolleiflex MX's
> that were just
> plain worn out.  The first symptom is usually a failure to
> cock the shutter
> when the board is extended outward.  The wear on all the
> cocking mechanism
> parts stacks up to the point where there isn't enough
> travel left to quite
> cock the shutter.  Generally the shutter would still
> function if you could
> cock it manually, but even then it feels pretty rough
> while the shutter is
> being cocked.  Theres a steel toothed ring that bears on
> the aluminum
> housing, and that's one of the main wear points.  These
> shutters are on
> either heavily used cameras, or have a lot of dirt in
> them.

   There is an adjustment for the stroke of the shutter
winding levers. Its a sliding cam under the wind crank which
is on an eccentric with a lock screw. However, the the cam,
or its follower, can become worn to the point where it won't
completely cock the shutter in some focus positions. Its
possible that shutter wear contributes but I think this is
mainly a problem of wear of the cocking mechanism in the
camera.
   The first symptoms I noticed were irregular winding and
spacing of frames.

---