[pure-silver] Re: old rollei over exposing

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:02:18 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shannon Stoney" <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 8:41 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] old rollei over exposing

> Hi, I have been shooting with an old rolleiflex, circa
> 1937.  I had
> the shutter adjusted and the lens cleaned by a seemingly
> reputable
> person, and it works better than it did when I first got
> it.  But it
> still over exposes the film.  I am wondering if this might
> have to do
> with the fact that the lens is probably uncoated?  I think
> I will be
> able to use this camera if I figure out what speed to
> shoot HP5+ at
> (800? 1200?)  but I wonder why this is happening.
>
> --shannon

   The shutter is running slow. An uncoated lens lets less
light through than a coated one but the difference is not
significant in a Tessar.
   There are really no adjustments in most shutters. The
Compur of the type used in Rolleiflexes has one adjustment.
Its for 1/10th second. When that is right it brings all the
slow speeds in. The higher speeds are controlled mainly by
the strength of the main spring and the cleanliness of the
parts. At the factory the shutter speeds are set by filing
the speed ring. This is practically never necessary when
servicing a shutter because it would mostly be trying to
correct a problem by creating another problem.

   I have a small shutter speed meter sold by Calumet. Its
nearly doubled in price since I bought mine but is still
under $100 last I looked. If you have older cameras or
shutters this thing is very useful because it will tell you
exactly what the shutter is doing.

   I have three old Rolleis with shutters I've worked on
myself. All came back to their original specs. My other
Rollei was serviced by Harry Fleenor so it really does not
count as an old shutter, he replaced the drive spring and
maybe other stuff so its right on the nose.

---