[pure-silver] Re: old rollei over exposing

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:23:11 -0800

At 10:59 PM 2/17/2005, Michael Healy wrote:

>Okay, WHAT manufucturers generally recommend? Point us to
>a source or three. Show us they recommend leaving it cocked, or show us they
>recommend NOT leaving it cocked.

OK... take Hasselblad for instance. It is not that they tell you one way or
the other, they simply do not provide you with a way of uncocking a lens
shutter. The ONLY way to mount or unmount a lens from a Hasselblad is, if
the shutter is cocked. Hasselblad provides no way of uncocking a shutter
when it is off of the camera. Yes, you can do it, but Hasselblad tells you
that if you should accidentally uncock a lens shutter while the lens is off
of the camera, you should cock it again using a coin and provided coin
slot. Even focal plane shuttered Hasselblads (I have two) operate this way
as they can use shuttered and non-shuttered lenses. The focal plane
shutters as well as the lens shutters, stay cocked.

ALL stored Hasselblad shutters, whether in original boxes awaiting sales or
in a photographers bag, or in great grandfathers closet awaiting the
eventual grandson finding it... are cocked.

You simply do not have uncocked Hasselblad shutters laying around. After
exposing a frame, you ALWAYS wind the camera which cocks the shutter and
advances the film. Not doing this can be a problem. a.) you cannot remove
the lens in order to use another, and b.) If you change backs, you risk a
double exposure on the removed back and a skipped exposure on the new back.

The first Compur shuttered Hasselblad 500c appeared in 1957. Hasselblad
lens shutters, from that day on, have remained in the cocked state as the
norm. Yes, some ne'er-do-wells have, undoubtedly, using a toothpick,
tripped all of their Hasselblad lens shutters thinking they were doing
their shutters a favor. Based upon the way the system was designed, I
believe they were not.

IMHO,

:-)

Jim