[pure-silver] Re: The Quest and My Heresy??

  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 07:01:25 -0500

On Friday 15 December 2006 04:54, Snoopy wrote:

> My point is: is it really worthwhile for you to
> try and make prints that look like someone elses
> by going down the same "technical route" what
> with big cameras and unsharp masks and/or loads
> of pixels etc. ?? Is this the way you should "run" _your_ hobby?

> But if you try to emulate someone else I think
> you simply get frustrated. At some point, after
> having seen tons of grand and fabulous prints by
> the Grand Masters and Mistresses I just gave up
> "trying to be like them". The problem being:
> there is obviously no "right way" - everyone has
> their on style, their own "look" of the prints
> etc. So I am stuck with having to chose a Grand
> Master to follow plus all the technical challenges thrown in on top.

> So my second heart is now: try to take good
> pictures which are "medium-indpendent". I try to
> capture the emotions, the look, the scene , the
> moment and I simply do my processing to ensure
> that the pictures are "consumable" in an
> acceptable form. Oh, sure, I try to get things
> "right" with contrasts, gray scales, no dust, no
> scratches and some such, but I only really see
> this as the "substrate" on which good pictures grow.

> So the questuion to you is: would you really be
> happier if you produced prints that looked like someones elses?

        I agree and I disagree.

        You can't break the "rules" until you know what the rules are. Copying
the
work of others or just trying to emulate them can be good for learning how
things can be done. Doesn't mean you should do this forever but there are
worst ways to start.

        Using the right tool makes things easier. Some things are better with a
big
camera some things are better with a small one. Plus in today's analog market
putting together a group of cameras to handle different situations isn't that
expensive. You'll see people chasing their tails trying to do things with the
wrong tool. No point in that today.

        The medium does influence the message.

Nick