[pure-silver] Re: The Quest and My Heresy??

  • From: "Tim Rudman" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:27:06 -0000

I wouldn't disagree with anything you said here Mark, but when you say "All
good images.  All that say something, they just say something different in
different ways." my contention would be that possibly only one of those ways
(sometimes more, but often only one) will say exactly what the author wants
it to say in the way he/she intended.
Tim

De: "Mark Blackwell" <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 08:57:24 -0600
Sujet: [pure-silver] Re: The Quest and My Heresy??
À: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>How its processed should not even be something that enters
>consideration of the viewer.  They could care less.  Is the image
>interesting, say something, make a powerful statement, trigger an
>emotional response, or any of a number of other WOW factors?  If so the
>image works.  If not it doesn't.  A particular techinque almost never
>makes or breaks an image.  You might like one with the techinque a
>little better than the other, and you might improve something with this
>or that, but for the most part its like make up on a beautiful woman.
>It just enhances the beauty thats already there.  Put make up on an
>ugly
woman and you still have an ugly woman.

Again, *in some cases*, the original image just acts as a canvas and it's
the post-processing that creates the WOW factor.

There are various excellent examples in Tim Rudman's books where the
straight prints look (sorry Tim !) just boring but the final result is of
another magnitude.

That's the same for the japanese photographer Adrienne mentionned: that's
the way he clinically describes these urban landscapes to make us feel
unconfortable. In this case, it's not only post-processing (eventual masking
technique, ...) but also pre-processing (choice of equipment, point if view
and lighting) Will these images have the same impact taken "normally" ? I
doubt it.

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch