[pure-silver] Re: The Quest and My Heresy??

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:05:37 +0900

Dear Nephew Chris,

I am glad to read that the public library system of Ann Arbor had a section devoted to pictures of bare naked women. I think this a valuable contribution to world peace and artistic development. I too undertook a course of study of the same subject along about 13 - I note from your email that we are the same age so it is possible that we may have had access to some of the same source material. Interesting that we have also pursued 45 years of our own photography based upon this foundation. I believe a French painter - Courbet, perhaps - illustrated the phenomenon in the 19th century, to some scandal.

I for one am glad of that early training. It has enabled me to see the fun in pictures of bare naked women - and also to see sadness as well. The books and magazines of the period that you - we - saw may have included Peter Gowland, Bunny Yeager, Bruno Bernard, and the works of one Mr. Hefner. Plus innumerable calendars hanging in innumerable barbershops and garages. I cannot remember any that were uninteresting and despite their varying level of skill, they were all good humoured. They were there to attract us and attract us they did.

Unfortunately I find that much of the current crop of books and magazines based on the same core subject does NOT attract. Quite the opposite. From the 'lads mag' that seems stuffed with aggressive language and snarling tottie to the multicoloured art book with the gynaecological diagrams it all seems to be a meaner and sadder world. I can no longer imagine myself happy in the arms of the young ladies depicted on the page - or anywhere else on their anatomies...I might ask one of them along on a roo-shooting trip or to change the oil on the car, but amour does not enter into it.

    Sad, this. Have you found it to be the same?

    Uncle Dick

PS: This should open a Saturday Can 'O Worms.