[pure-silver] Re: The Quest and My Heresy??

  • From: "Ralph W. Lambrecht" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:26:50 +0100

Snoopy

Let's ask ourselves, why do we create images, and why have we chosen
photography to do so. The answers might be surprising.

Once we did that, let's think back and remember what was first in our image
making career, the camera or the art. In other words, did we buy a camera,
because we liked the technology of photography, and the love of art came
later. Or did we intent to create art first, and then decided to do it
through photography? Was our wish to create art a conscious decision, or is
it an add-on, and we are not even sure anymore when this need was born? Once
we have the honest answer to this second question, let's compare it with the
answer to the first question, and see if it matches.

Now, let's assume the wish to create art came first and the selection to do
it through photography came second (rarely the case). If it is so, we're OK,
and a minimum understanding of the surrounding technology is all we need to
create great images.

If however, the quest for art came second (mostly the case), we need to
answer yet another serious question. Why do we want to create art? Do we
have to justify our hobby through the claim of art? Is art work, hobby, fun,
a mission? What is art anyway, and do we have to carry this burden? Is it
spoiling the hobby?

Well, I did this all for me, and I tell you, art is difficult to define,
very hard to do and rarely appreciated enough. Becoming a solid craftsman
and enjoying the fruit of your labor is very satisfying too. You can be good
at something and enjoy it to the fullest without creating art.

Don't let your surroundings tell you where your goals should be. But if you
really need to become an artist (and who knows, you might be one already)
then go and join them. Seek them out and work with them, learn from them.
Join an art school, go to workshop after workshop (not the technical ones)
or get books from and about artist and their work. You don't need to copy
them, but you must become part of it. Art might be created in isolation,
artist rarely are.

But before you do all of that, ask yourself again "Must my photography be
art" or is competent photography OK too.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com