[pure-silver] Re: Speedotron 2401A

  • From: Bob Randall <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 08:48:11 -0500

On 10/2/06 8:23 AM, "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My Speedo 2401A packs have a "bleeder" resistor that is put across the banks
> of capacitors when you switch the power off.  This is supposed to discharge
> the caps over a period of seconds as soon as you switch off.  Ergo, IF the
> bleeder resistor is working properly you don't have to dump the flash just
> before turning off and the caps will discharge even if you don't have any
> heads plugged in and dump the power.  When I turn my packs off I count
> SLOWLY to 10 before plugging in or unplugging heads.
> ********The operative phrase here is "...if the bleeder resistor is working
> properly..."!!!  If it is NOT working properly you can have a charge left in
> the caps for some period of time (Hours?  Days?) and get an arc when
> plugging in or unplugging heads.  As Speedos are 900 Volt systems, if you
> get that across your heart (hand to hand)  you will most probably go into
> fibrillation and require IMMEDIATE defib or you are history.
> CHEERS!
> BOB

This is pretty much what happened to me with an added little tidbit. I was
thrown about thirty feet into a wall as well. I appreciate Jim's repair
experience and all the things that are supposed to go right and be done
correctly, however, I will always discharge the packs immediately after
turning them off.

Bob