[pure-silver] Re: Speedotron 2401A

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 09:23:47 -0400

My Speedo 2401A packs have a "bleeder" resistor that is put across the banks
of capacitors when you switch the power off.  This is supposed to discharge
the caps over a period of seconds as soon as you switch off.  Ergo, IF the
bleeder resistor is working properly you don't have to dump the flash just
before turning off and the caps will discharge even if you don't have any
heads plugged in and dump the power.  When I turn my packs off I count
SLOWLY to 10 before plugging in or unplugging heads.
********The operative phrase here is "...if the bleeder resistor is working
properly..."!!!  If it is NOT working properly you can have a charge left in
the caps for some period of time (Hours?  Days?) and get an arc when
plugging in or unplugging heads.  As Speedos are 900 Volt systems, if you
get that across your heart (hand to hand)  you will most probably go into
fibrillation and require IMMEDIATE defib or you are history.
                CHEERS!
                        BOB

 Please check my website: http://www.bobkiss.com/

"Live as if you are going to die tomorrow.  Learn as if you are going to
live forever".  Mahatma Gandhi