[pure-silver] Re: Speedotron 2401A

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 20:38:45 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dana H. Myers" <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 8:06 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Speedotron 2401A

I used to repair strobes as a business.

You ever abuse an electrolytic until it explodes? I learned that lesson
pretty early myself... sure made a mess.

Dana  K6JQ

Very long ago I built my first audio amplifier. The filter caps were Aerovox electrolytic units which were probably slightly undervalued for voltage. I had a couple blow up on me. They sound like a .45 going off and leave a mess that smells strongly of Ammonia. I had one blow up on a carpet. My mom was not happy about this. I switched to Mallory caps and had no more problems.
Caps for strobe units are special. They must take constant cycling which will shorten the life of caps made for filter purposes. Remember, there is also a lot of mechanical stress on a cap when it charges and discharges. The same principle that is behind condenser loudspeakers and microphones also applies to all capacitors: the plates move when the charge is changed. I was visiting a very large electrical distribution station at one time and was near a bank of phase correction capacitors that were switched in. Boy, did I jump. These sounded not like a .45 but more like a cannon.

---