[projectaon] Re: Comment Period for Lone Wolf 1-7

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 09:27:20 +0000

On 03/11/2011 00:04, Chris Neilson wrote:
On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 18:51 -0400, Benjamin I Krefetz wrote:
On Thu, 3 Nov 2011, Chris Neilson wrote:

On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 13:14 +0000, Simon Osborne wrote:

[40] (Section 309) Changed "If you win the first round of combat, Sogh will
fight by your side and you may add 2 to your COMBAT SKILL for the duration
of the subsequent combats." to "If you win the first one of these multiple
combats, then Sogh will fight by your side aqnd you may add 2 to your COMBAT
SKILL for the duration of the subsequent two combats."

Perhaps change it to "If you defeat Tower Guards 1 and 2, ..."?

Or, "If you defeat the first two Tower Guards" or "...the first pair of
Tower Guards..."

So weve gone from having to win 1 round of combat until gaining the CS
bonus, to defeating 1 opponent, to defeating 2 opponents?

You fight Tower Guards 1 and 2 as one opponent, so it's not like you could
defeat Tower Guard 1 without defeating Tower Guard 2.

If we left it at literally winning one round of combat, that seems like an
unfair result.  Would Sogh really refuse you join you if you take more
damage than the tower guards in the first round of combat even if you then
dispatch them?

Ben

I see, i see (should have really read the section).
I dont get what "win one round of combat" means - I would assume any
round that youre not killed (automatically or otherwise) is a "win".
Alternatively, the way i read your post winning the round means you deal
more damage than you take for that round (in this case, what happens in
a tie?)
Personally i dont care either way, unless Im missing something, youre
fighting with a sword (no penalty to CS) so the worst Combat Ratio you
can have is -7 which equates to a 40% chance of dealing more damage than
the enemy (and a 0% chance of auto-death) increasing by 10% for every 2
CS above rock bottom you are - so still fairly good odds.

If you want a motive, all thats standing between sogh and getting
stabbed by 6 guards, is you. If I were Sogh, Id jump in after one round
if the other guy didnt die straight away :)

"If you defeat Tower Guards 1 and 2" seems like the least ambiguous and
uses less characters than the other alternatives (so unambiguity per
letter ratio is higher).

This was probably the worst, most ambiguous piece of wording in the whole Lone Wolf series! Confusingly, when Joe says "the first round of combat", he doesn't mean "the first combat round", but rather "the first of the two combats". The confusion is compounded by the fact that each combat is against two opponents. Gah! >_<

While we're looking at the footnotes...Jon, do you intend to add the sentence "You may only use one Weapon at a time in combat." to the Equipment section after "Remember that you can only carry two Weapons at once."? The text is taken directly from the Mongoose editions. It affects all the books.

For whatever reason, I tended not to list the footnotes from the Equipment sections for the books, so you might wish to review those when you implement the changes for each book...