[projectaon] Re: Comment Period for Lone Wolf 1-7

  • From: Benjamin I Krefetz <krefetz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 15:50:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Simon Osborne wrote:

I just compared the list of footnotes against each section in the Mongoose Publishing edition...if we copied them, we could make errata changes to the text and lose 21 (!!) of our footnotes for this book alone. I haven't checked Books 3-7 yet. That said, I think Mongoose's solutions are sometimes inelegant, so we shouldn't slavishly go along with their text.

I know we don't want to linger over this comment period. Should we leave the footnotes as they are, or should I make a list of what the Mongoose solutions to our footnotes were and implement them selectively? Or (if possible) would someone else like to do this, if they own copies of the Mongoose editions? ;-)

If we want to change some, can we come up with a rough idea of what sorts of things we should leave as footnotes? For example, I think the footnotes in 79 and 242 look unnecessarily messy in the main body of the text as they are purely clarifications of a game mechanic. On the other hand, Mongoose's solution to 145 and 314 are less intrusive than a footnote. (Not helpful to those of you who don't own the Mongoose editions, I know--sorry!)

I tend to agree with your assessments on the 4 examples you gave. I'm happy to go over the Mongoose editions of 1 and 2 when I get off work and compile the full list for them. I don't have any of the other Mongoose books, though.

Ben