[projectaon] Re: Comment Period for Lone Wolf 1-7

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 13:34:51 +0100

On 21/09/2011 01:36, Jonathan Blake wrote:
Let's get started with the comment period for Lone Wolf 1-7. It's a
little odd starting it in the middle of the week, but I think we'll be
OK. :)

Just a thought: if we have existing archived copies of the xml that relates to the published edition of a book, we could use that to generate an old simple edition and diff against that.

Worth remembering to check the illustration captions for typos.

Over the next week (ending Tuesday, 27 Sep), please review the books
in any way that you think would help and report back, even if it's to
say that they look good. The more the merrier. Since we're doing seven
this week, I figure it's easy to split up the task and do one per day.

http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/01fftd/title.htm
http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-simple/lw/01fftd.htm
http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/01fftd/title.htm

http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/02fotw/title.htm
http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-simple/lw/02fotw.htm
http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/02fotw/title.htm

79 and corresponding Errata entry: delete superfluous extra space before "(e.g." (i.e. replace " " with " "). Is there any easy way of checking for erroneous multiple spaces within <p> tags? That said, it's a very minor detail I suppose...

I just compared the list of footnotes against each section in the Mongoose Publishing edition...if we copied them, we could make errata changes to the text and lose 21 (!!) of our footnotes for this book alone. I haven't checked Books 3-7 yet. That said, I think Mongoose's solutions are sometimes inelegant, so we shouldn't slavishly go along with their text.

I know we don't want to linger over this comment period. Should we leave the footnotes as they are, or should I make a list of what the Mongoose solutions to our footnotes were and implement them selectively? Or (if possible) would someone else like to do this, if they own copies of the Mongoose editions? ;-)

If we want to change some, can we come up with a rough idea of what sorts of things we should leave as footnotes? For example, I think the footnotes in 79 and 242 look unnecessarily messy in the main body of the text as they are purely clarifications of a game mechanic. On the other hand, Mongoose's solution to 145 and 314 are less intrusive than a footnote. (Not helpful to those of you who don't own the Mongoose editions, I know--sorry!)

http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/03tcok/title.htm
http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-simple/lw/03tcok.htm
http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/03tcok/title.htm

Should we capitalise "weapon(s)" in Sections 49 and 196? Again, should we search through all the books to locate places where we should capitalise "weapon" or "weapons"?

I'll get to Books 4-7 later.