[projectaon] Re: Comment Period for Lone Wolf 1-7

  • From: "David Davis" <feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 22:02:02 +0100

Come on - Mongoose never asked permission to make commercial releases incorporating our free work! If they started complaining we were infringing on them, they'd get pretty short shrift!

-----Original Message----- From: Simon Osborne
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:47 PM
To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [projectaon] Re: Comment Period for Lone Wolf 1-7

On 22/09/2011 19:57, Ingo Kloecker wrote:
I've been wondering lately whether we are actually allowed to take any
changes from the Mongoose editions. We probably do not have the right to
publish the Mongoose editions. I think it's okay to mention the Mongoose
solutions in the footnotes (if we think they are worth mentioning). But
I'm dubious about making our text identical to the one from the Mongoose
editions.

It's a symbiotic relationship; after all, many times they have just
taken the text of our footnote and placed it as part of the main
text--though not always as elegantly as they could have. That said, we
are not looking to make the text identical to the Mongoose editions as
much as using them as clarification for any unclear points of the books
(where we've added footnotes to the PA editions).

Perhaps there is a fine line, but we are not providing the updated
illustrations or the new edition of Book 1 or the bonus mini-adventures
in Books 2+, so using the Mongoose editions as the basis of
reviewing/revising our footnotes, as well as noting which opponents'
stats have been lowered with Joe Dever's blessing does not seem to me to
be undermining the Mongoose editions in any way; rather, it seems like
free advertising for them. ;-)