-=PCTechTalk=- Re: dialup and high speed cable access question

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:12:47 -0400

Cristy,
    The easiest way to tell if you have the required port is to look at the
back of your system.  You already know what the regular dial-up jacks look
like (just a phone jack that accepts a phone cord).  The ethernet jack looks
VERY similar to that, except that it's wider in order to accept an ethernet
cable with 8 wires across instead of the regular phone cord's 4 wires
across.  If you think you've found one (it may be on a separate add-in card
like your modem or it could also be up further with the mainboard ports near
where the printer connects), let us know.  If necessary, you can buy one for
around $25 (USC).

    I highly recommend setting a Restore Point before doing anything like
this (even if you had no intention of going back to the old connection).
It's never a bad idea to give yourself a little safety net.      :O)

Peace,
GMan