-=PCTechTalk=- Re: re organizing my drives/computer project

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:03:47 -0400

Rose,
    First, I'll address Don's reply here since I figure both of you will be
reading this anyway.  Don's points are both extremely valid.  I'll also add
that Microsoft's Live Onecare has already earned a much less than
enthusiastic reputation among AV app testing labs.  I also find it ironic
that the company in charge of keeping our operating systems secure now is
getting into the (for fee) market of supplimenting what they should have
already been doing all along.  Seems to me that they are now trying to make
money off of their OS's shortcomings (lack of security), which means they
now have less incentive to fix all of the OS problems.  Alos, since they ARE
the OS maker, they can roll out some of their less critical Microsoft
Updates as part of this new 'paid' service, rather than give away the
repairs for free.  I'm not saying that any of this is going to happen, but
it just doesn't sit well with me that it's not a big leap.  (Are you still
considered paranoid if they really ARE out to get ya?)       ;O}

And now onto your post.
    Partition Magic basically ceased to be the moment Symantec purchased the
product.  They bought it to 'kill' the competition with their own 'Ghost'
application.Although I have tested several other partitioning tools since
that purchase, my feeling is that Acronis is quickly becoming the new
Partition Magic.

    If you were using Norton systemworks, you don't have to give up
everything in that suite.  I have replaced Norton AV and Norton Internet
Security (firewall) with ZoneAlarm Security Suite, which I like MUCH better.
However, I still have the Norton Utilities installed.  Of course, this is
still WinXP, so it would take an upgrade for you to make it work.  I figured
I'd bring it up here in case you wanted to consider doing something similar
with the older systems.

    Internals for everyday and externals for backups is pretty much what
I'll be suggesting, too.  The only strong exception I would have is to
perhaps put topics that you might only use once a month (or longer) on an
external.  But this option should only be carried out if it becomes obvious
that keeping them internal is not going to allow enough 'breathing room' on
the internal drives.  Of course, only you can decide if any of the topics
(Scrapbooking, Stationery, Family Projects, etc.) qualify.

    I understood what you meant when you brought up RAID.  The thing is that
it adds a level of complexity that I'm not sure you would care to add to an
already complex organizational system.  If you do decide that it's the right
way to go (and we'll discuss this in length in a later subthread), you'll
need two hard drives of the same capacity for this option.  The drives
should also be the same make/model from the same maker to ensure success.
Speed is not an issue with a new system, so redundancy would be the focus.

    I will end this reply by reminding you that today's computers run
significantly hotter than those made even a couple of years ago.  For this
reason, I strongly suggest that you never mount one hard drive directly over
another.  There should always be at least an inch between them to allow air
to circulate so the drives do not overheat.  Of course, this may further
limit the number of drives you can keep internally.

    Keep me informed of any changes, thoughts, ideas &/or questions and give
Jerry a big kiss from me (uh, no tongue, ok?).          ;O)

Peace,
GMan